Join us in downtown Durham, North Carolina, for the warm embraces, friendly atmosphere, beautiful music and delicious food of a Utopia Encuentro. DJs: Michelle McRuiz, Mark Mindel, Marcelo Ros, Harvey Schwartz, Sohrab Soltani, Jonathan Yamauchi, Jae Youn.
Pre-registration. At this time pre-registration is open only to couples and leaders.
- For milonguero style dancers, only
- Strict adherence to the “codigos” of a milonga (see below)
- Role balanced
- Separate seating for leaders and followers
- Traditional music, specifically from the Golden Age (1935–1955)
- Pre-registration required – no payment until acceptance
- Wine, appetizers and snacks served throughout the weekend.
Codigos (encuentro etiquette):
- Invitation by cabeceo/mirada, only
- Entering the dance floor with consideration to those already dancing
- No teaching on the dance floor
- Maintain a safe environment within the ronda: no high boleos, hard-hitting ganchos, jumps, leg sweeps, leg extensions, etc.
- Clear the dance floor during the cortina
- Please refer to www.siempremilonguero.org for a comprehensive list (with explanations) of the codigos
- Ability to stay connected to partner throughout the dance in a comfortable close embrace
- Mastery of own axis and ability to track accurately partner’s axis – no pulling off axis
- Focus on musical expression via compact dance figures rather than flashy moves
- Mastery of floor navigation in order to create a safe dance environment and contribute to the constant and fluid movement of the ronda
- Ease with all general vocabulary in both parallel and cross systems
- Respect, experience and working knowledge of the codigos (above).
|Thursday – El Respecto||8pm – 1pm||DJ Sohrab Soltani|
|Friday – La Amabilidad||Noon – 4pm||DJ Mark Mindel|
|Friday – La Humildad||8pm – 1am||DJ Harvey Schwartz|
|Saturday – Gratitud||Noon – 4pm||DJ Jae Youn|
|Saturday – La Generosidad||8pm – 1am||DJ Marcelo Ros|
|Sunday – Curiosidad||Noon – 4pm||DJ Jonathan Yamauchi|
|Sunday – Gozo Total||7pm – midnight||DJ Michelle McRuiz|
The Durham Marriott City Center is directly across the street from the encuentro venue.
We have a group rate for a small block of rooms at Unscripted. Singles are $159/night; doubles are $174/night.
These four hotels are in the heart of downtown Durham. Many more options may be found on-line. Local hotels can fill quickly; we encourage milongueros to book early.
Our local airport is Raleigh-Durham International (RDU). It’s 16 miles from downtown Durham, about a half-hour by taxi/lyft/uber. If you are staying within walking distance from the venue, then you will not need a car – delicious food and cocktails are within easy walking distance.
Your admission is non-transferable. If you cancel before December 31, 2022, you will receive a full refund. If you registered as a couple, both registrations will be cancelled.