Utopia Encuentro Milonguero: Charleston Edition 3
Charleston will radiate in October and serve as the exquisite background for Utopia Encuentro Milonguero: Charleston Edition No. 3! Once again, the charm of this beautiful city along with gracious dancers, an inviting venue and alluring music will result in an enchanting weekend. The theme of this year’s encuentro is “Un Otoño Mágico” (A Magical Autumn). Come, embrace, dance and experience the magic a la Utopia style!
||Thursday, October 17, 2019 through Sunday, October 20, 2019
||Lance Hall (All the events) @ Circular Church
150 Meeting St. Charleston
- For milonguero style dancers, only
- Registration required – no payment until acceptance
- Gender balanced
- Separate seating for leaders and followers
- Traditional music, specifically from the Golden Age (1935–1955)
- Sunday dinner
- Wine, appetizers and snacks served throughout the weekend.
- Strict adherence to the “codigos” of a milonga
- Invitation by cabeceo/mirada, only
- Entering the dance floor respecting those already dancing
- No teaching on the dance floor
- No high boleos, hard-hitting ganchos, jumps, leg sweeps, leg extensions, etc. in order to maintain a safe environment within the ronda
- Leaving the dance floor during the cortina
- Please refer to www.siempremilonguero.org for a comprehensive list (with explanations) of the codigos
- Ability to stay connected to partner throughout the dance in a comfortable close embrace
- Mastery of own axis and ability to track accurately partner’s axis – no pulling off axis
- Focus on musical expression via compact dance figures rather than flashy moves
- Mastery of floor navigation in order to create a safe dance environment and contribute to the constant and fluid movement of the ronda
- Ease with all general vocabulary in both parallel and cross systems
- Respect, experience and working knowledge of the codigos
- Milonga Otoño Mágico by Michelle McRuiz
Thursday, October 17 7:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
- Milonga Añoranza by DJ Relay – Mark Mindel and Kipp Chynoweth
Friday, October 18 11:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m.
- Milonga El Encanto by Paul Akmajian
Friday, October 18 7:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
- Milonga Hojas Danzantes by Sohrab Soltani
Saturday, October 19 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m
- Milonga Época Dorada by Christopher Nassopoulos
Saturday, October 19 7:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
- La Cena (Dinner)
Sunday, October 20 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Milonga La Cosecha by Vincent Lam
Sunday, October 20 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.